Wednesday, September 24, 2008

It's not my fault you're out of your medicine!

Working in a retail pharmacy provides its share of interesting and also shameful actions on the part of our patients/customers. I love my job. However, I don't understand why it is that you come in to my pharmacy on a Saturday/Sunday or evening during the week asking me to give you medication that you ran out of yesterday when you don't even use my pharmacy! When you took the last one yesterday, did it not cross your mind, hey, I might need to get this refilled, because, hello, I just took the last one? It's not my fault you CHOSE to use a pharmacy who is not open or is only open limited hours. It is also not my fault if:

1. Your doctor's office is closed and has no after hours number.

2. Your prescription hasn't been called in yet.

3. Your insurance isn't paying for your prescription.

4. Your insurance isn't paying what you think it should for your prescription.

5. Your insurance company has changed your card/ID number/group number and hasn't bothered to let you know or sent you a new card.

6. I have left messages for your doctor/nurse and they haven't called back yet.

7. You have no refills left on your prescription.

8. The doctor-- wrote for something that didn't exist/didn't sign the prescription/etc...



Pretty soon we will have a person whose sole job is to stand there and put medication in people's mouths for them. Now granted, we have some absolutely fabulous patients, but for every 1 of them, there are 10 more waiting in the wings to chew my techs out for something that they have no control over. And there is nothing that makes me more furious!!! If you are nice about it, I will go out of my way to do what I can to help you, but if you're rude? Forget about it...why waste my time for someone who treats me like crap and probably doesn't even appreciate what I was doing for them anyway? No one gets paid enough to be treated that way, I don't care how much a person makes.

Also, we are NOT a fast-food restaurant!!! I value safety over speed, and I would hope that patients would do the same. (However, experience tells me that this is not true.) I would much rather take the time to do it right, than have the chance that an error might occur, because try as hard as we might, no matter how careful we are, we are still human, and we still make mistakes. There is not one pharmacy in the country that could honestly say they have never made a mistake--whether it got out to the patient or not.

And I could go on and on......but I think I'll stop for now...

No comments: